For the Whole of Their Life.
Director Of Studies - Week 2, Term 1 2019
Lifestyle, Balance and Peak Performance
As the dust settles on the start of a new school year, and we are still feeling refreshed and invigorated, it is timely to turn our minds to strategies that we can put in place to help achieve our best at school this year.
Achieving peak performance this year requires more than doing lots of study, or trying really hard at the busy times. We can think of a school year like running a year-long marathon. With a balance in our life and lifestyle, we can help keep our brain and body healthy until the finish line.
Making sensible choices is vital:
- Eating for optimum brain performance – breakfast, fruits and vegetables, limit sugars and processed food
- Hydrate – a teenager needs around 1.5L of water per day, minimise energy drinks, caffeine and soft drinks
- Exercise – common advice is to aim for 3x 30min of vigorous activity (makes you huff and puff) per week. Make it fun, make it regular, team sport, swim, walk the dog, bike riding.
- Sleep – everyone is different but teens should be aiming for at least 8 hours per night, more for younger kids – resets, replenishes and recharges your brain.
- Interact – make time for family, friends, hobbies, volunteering, time at church, helping others.
For more details and pointers go to www.studyskillshandbook.com.au and select the Lifestyle and Balance button:
What can you do to improve your lifestyle and achieve a better balance this year?
Director of Studies