For the Whole of Their Life.
Director of Studies News - Music Education
This week’s article features the place of Music education within our college.
Research clearly demonstrates that learning a musical instrument brings young people with a wealth of academic and emotional benefits. This includes, but not limited to:
Promoting brain development
- Fine motor skills and hand-eye coordination
- Auditory processing
- Focus and self-discipline
- Self-confidence and team skills
Opportunities in Music
We wonder if you are aware just how many options our students have whatever their year group? It is always a joy to see children experience the satisfaction of being able to make music and to share their music with others through live performance.
In addition to classroom music subjects, other programs include:
- Beginner Music Program
- Ensemble/Club Programs
- Instrumental Tuition Programs
Upcoming performance opportunities include:
- Candlelight Concert – Monday 12 March
- Founders Day Fair – Friday 29 March
- ‘High School Musical’ in Term Two,
- Music Art Dance Drama (MADD) night in Term Three; and
- Celebrate in Term Four.
Each day specialised instrument teachers conduct lessons on site. Click here for contact details to enquire about lessons for your child’s preferred instrument. It’s never too late to start learning!
Subsidised instrument hire is available through the College. Email Mrs Blake for more information.
Hire is available for the following instruments only:
Creative Kids Subsidies
Don’t forget that the NSW government provides subsidies for music lessons with a registered provider. Our instrumental teachers are registered providers.
Details about your $100 grant here.
Students learning an instrument should consider joining one of our fifteen ensembles/clubs. Members will hone their skills and perform at school through the year.
Ensembles are mini communities that spur each other on to learn and share the thrill of performing as they strive to master their music repertoire.
- Concert Band (Thursday 3:10pm – 4:15pm)
- Intermediate Band (Wednesday 7:45am)
- Beginner Band (Monday 7:45am)
- Senior Strings (Friday 7:45am)
- Intermediate Strings (Tuesday 7:45am)
- Beginner Strings (Monday 7:45am)
- String Quartet (Tuesday lunchtime)
- Guitar Ensemble (Tuesday 7:45am)
- Drumline (Tuesday 7:50am)
- Senior Vocal Ensemble (Senior School students only, Thursday lunchtime)
- Senior Boys Vocal Ensemble (Thursday lunchtime)
- College Choir (Years 3-8, Friday lunchtime)
- Middle School Chapel Band (waiting list available)
- Senior School Chapel Band (Tuesday lunchtime)
- Year 7 & 8 Music Technology Club (waiting list available)
Contact Mrs Blake for advice on which ensemble your child is suited to. Registering interest will help to ensure a place for next year or if an opening occurs.
The concert features our senior music students and ensembles, showcasing a variety of music genres. Everyone is warmly invited to this delightful night of music to celebrate and support the musical talents of our young people in solo and group performances.
Further enquiries for this event can be made to Mrs Green.
Peter Freeman – Director of Studies
Priscilla Blake – Head of Creative and Performing Arts