- Our Story
- St Philip's Christian College Gosford History
For the Whole of Their Life.
St Philip's Christian College Gosford History
Gosford Christian School started in a church hall in 1981 with 27 students. The school motto was "In the nurture and admonition of the Lord." The school was located at Point Clare before moving to the current Narara site in 1988. Student numbers grew to over 600. In 1990 the first students completed Year 12. In 1995 an annex location was opened in Bensville. This is now Coast Christian School.
In 2007 Gosford Christian School was acquired by St Philip’s Christian College. There are over 600 students from Preschool to Year 12.
St Philip's was founded in 1982 in Waratah (Newcastle area) by the vision and efforts of the leaders and people of St Philip’s Anglican Church. The founders passionately believed in the need for an independent school that would develop the 'whole child' - intellectually, socially, physically and spiritually; a school that would maintain high academic and behavioural standards and at the same time effectively proclaim the liberating truth of the Christian Gospel.
The first College at Newcastle has over 1400 students enrolled from Preschool to Year 12. Initially, the College was operated as an undertaking of St Philip’s Anglican Church. In 1985 St Philip’s Christian Education Foundation Limited was formed. This non-profit company took over the ownership and operation of the College.
In 1995 a new campus of the College was established at Salamander Bay Port Stephens. This campus has an enrolment of over 700 students from Kindergarten to Year 12.
An alternative school called the D.A.L.E. (Dynamic Alternate Learning Environment) Program was established in 1997. The purpose of this school is to encourage 'students at risk' in Years 7-10 who are in danger of dropping out of school to gain their School Certificate. In 2000 a unit for young mothers, complete with crèche facilities and specialised support, was added. Both programs have achieved high levels of success and acclaim and in 2015 the young mothers program became a stand-alone school now known as the D.A.L.E Young Parents School (DYPS).
The College acquired Narnia Christian Preschool in 1997. Narnia has transitioned to become a 0-6 Years Early Learning Centre located in each of the schools.
Cessnock Christian School was acquired in 2004. The school has seen rapid growth in property development and student enrolment and has an enrolment of over 1100 students from Preschool to Year 12.
Gosford Christian School was acquired in 2007.
The College is a member of the NSW Association of Independent Schools and numerous links have been forged with other independent schools locally and further afield. The College is also a member of the Australian Association of Christian Schools and the Association of Christian Schools International.