- Our School
- Middle School
Middle School students bring both life and energy to school.
Throughout this exciting time of rapid change and development in their young lives, we at St Philip’s Christian College Gosford seek to harness and enhance this energy as students grow into the people God has planned for them to be.
The Middle School is designed specifically to focus on the needs of students in Years 5 to 8 as they transition from a Junior School method of learning with strong structures and clearly set work parameters, to the Senior School expectations of excelling through independent and open-ended assessments and their Record of School Achievement.
Students in these years can expect that school will remain enjoyable and relevant as they enter the challenges and joys of adolescence. The Middle School years are characterised by enormous physical, emotional, social and spiritual change. It is therefore our desire to develop inquisitive minds, a love of learning and connection with school. James McBean states, “You cannot teach a child you do not know”. This statement, and the African saying “it takes a whole village to raise a child” means students in Middle School can expect to be personally known by caring staff that are willing to go ‘the extra mile’ for their students.
The Adolescent Years
Middle School is designed to be a bridge between childhood and adolescence, promoting a smooth transition in a stable and caring environment. Students are in a stronger position to cope with personal changes as their educational surroundings are tailored to meet their needs at this time.
Middle School offers a true bridge in learning with full supporting structures in place during this change from pre to early adolescence.
These structures include:
- A ‘core’ teacher who teaches the student for a variety of subjects and takes an active role in the welfare of each student.
- Specialist teachers who take the students for an increasing variety of subjects as they progress through Middle School. These subjects include: Science (Years 7 & 8), Design and Technology (Years 7 & 8), Information and Software Technology/Coding (Years 7 & 8), Visual Arts, Music, Drama, Languages Other than English (in Year 8) and Sport.
- Specialised programs to challenge and stimulate the thinking of students who are academically gifted
- Leadership programs such as chosen Middle School Student Leaders and a Student Representative Council
- Organisation support such as a monitored diary, set locations to keep belongings and a core room
- Support programs for students who benefit from a modified curriculum
Middle School Parent Handbook - Gosford
2023 Parent Handbook